9.11.2012

for my crafty friends: his quilt

a simple quilt

i decided to make baby a quilt like big sis, but didn't want it to be exactly the same, so i went with squares instead of rectangles. this is super easy, and really doesn't take that much time if you have the time to work on it.

first, gather all the different patterned/colored fabrics you think you want to use for your quilt, and the supplies.


i used my quilting mat, ruler, and rotary cutter to cut 5.5 inch squares. these tools make it much easier and quicker to do this.


then, i laid out my squares on our spare bed, on top of the 2 yards of white chenille backing. once i laid them all out, i would have to leave the room and return to take quick looks to see if any of them needed to be moved.


then i would take a row, with all the squares in order, and sew an edge (with right sides facing). don't forget to back stitch at the beginning and end!


once I had my row sewn, i ironed it down, and laid it back in it's place on the bed. repeat for all rows.


once all the rows were sewn, i sewed the rows together, just taking one at a time and adding it on, until i finished the whole front of the quilt.


once the whole front was done, i laid it on top of the chenille, with right sides facing. and pinned all the edges. then took it to my sewing machine and sewed all 4 edges together, leaving about 12 inches of a gap to turn the quilt inside out. after that, i top stitched around the quilt.


after top stitching, i sewed diagonal lines across, making an 'x' on each square. it was a lot of sewing but i really like this touch.


the final product in different views...



2 comments:

  1. Great tutorial! I'm working on my first quilt now. This is super helpful! Thanks again, Midge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did it! Come check it out if you have a couple minutes. Thanks again!
    http://www.earthwormsandmarmalade.com/2013/12/my-first-ever-quilt.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by & leaving some love! I will reply to your thread, so stop back again later :) xoxo!